Kaspersky
Question

What do I gain by disabling PowerShell.exe? What do I gain by blocking outgoing Internet traffic for this application?

• 17 July 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2

Good morning

What will I lose if I disable PowerShell.exe? What will I lose if I block internet outbound traffic for this application?
Does Microsoft Store need this app to install updates? I am using Windows 10 20H1.  
Greetings
B. P.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Brown pirate , 

PowerShell is a command line shell that allows you to execute various commands. By disabling PowerShell.exe you will not be able to run Windows PowerShell, that’s it. Microsoft Store does not need this app to install updates. 

Userlevel 2

What do I gain by disabling PowerShell.exe? Correct answer: Security is increasing. You harden Windows. What do I gain by blocking outbound Internet traffic for this application? Correct answer: Privacy and security are increasing. You harden Windows. I understood that you guarantee no errors in "Event Viewer" and no fatal errors in "Reliability History" due to disabling PowerShell.exe via the gpedit.msc window, and any application from Microsoft does not bother / break / crash, right? Continue correspondence, please. I greet B. P.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

What do I gain by disabling PowerShell.exe? Correct answer: Security is increasing. You harden Windows. What do I gain by blocking outbound Internet traffic for this application? Correct answer: Privacy and security are increasing. You harden Windows. I understood that you guarantee no errors in "Event Viewer" and no fatal errors in "Reliability History" due to disabling PowerShell.exe via the gpedit.msc window, and any application from Microsoft does not bother / break / crash, right? Continue correspondence, please. I greet B. P.

Hello, @Brown pirate 

Now, You have the “correct answer”, why do you ask the answer here? unclear meaning……

It is your freedom to disable powershell or not.

Userlevel 2

You did not write you and neither did He - clearly, unambiguously, emphatically, precisely, that you guarantee no errors in the "Event Viewer" and no critical errors in the "Reliability History" due to disabling PowerShell.exe via the gpedit.msc window, and no Microsoft application crashes due to this disabling.
I greet
B. P.