Kaspersky
Question

"free" version of 2020 security cloud complains that I didn't have a licence.

• 22 September 2019
  • 5 replies

I have tried upgrading 2 of my existing computers from the free version of Kaspersky 2019 to the "free" version of 2020 security cloud (in fact security cloud is the only thing now offered when I search Kaspersky free) but it doesn't actually seem to be free at all. On both computers as soon as I signed in it simply complained that I didn't have a licence. It would be rather nice for a free antivirus solution to actually be a free antivirus solution, so I guess the question is are Kaspersky's licensing servers currently screwed up or is this a way of conning people into buying subs?

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hey. Did you download the free version? Here is a link to download the free version of the program
https://www.kaspersky.com/free-cloud-antivirus
I got the UK version from this link: https://www.kaspersky.co.uk/free-antivirus
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
I have tried upgrading 2 of my existing computers from the free version of Kaspersky 2019 to the "free" version of 2020 security cloud (in fact security cloud is the only thing now offered when I search Kaspersky free) but it doesn't actually seem to be free at all. On both computers as soon as I signed in it simply complained that I didn't have a licence.

Hello @ShanePhillips,
Welcome!
Just to clarify, when a previous 365 day license of Kaspersky AntiVirus Free ends, the only product available is Kaspersky®️ Security Cloud – Free.
If Kaspersky Customers have a subscription service, for example for KSV/KIS/KTS, that expires, they are offered the option of renewing the subscription OR installing KAV Free, for 365 days. After the 365 days expires, Kaspersky Customers have the option of buying a subscription or installing Kaspersky®️ Security Cloud – Free.
---
I've checked: https://www.kaspersky.co.uk/free-antivirus, it is installing Kaspersky®️ Security Cloud – Free
image 1

1. When you say, "as soon as I signed in it complained that I didn't have a licence", can you please post an image of this issue please?
  2. Also, please post an image of: Kaspersky Security Cloud Support screen (see my image 2)
image 2

Please post back?
Thank you🙏🏽
I've worked out what the error was. For some reason I can't fathom I had an old trial sub to Kaspersky cloud personal registered on my account, and instead of activating the free version it was cleverly trying to activate the expired trial. Removing the trial from my account fixed the problem.
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
I've worked out what the error was. For some reason I can't fathom I had an old trial sub to Kaspersky cloud personal registered on my account, and instead of activating the free version it was cleverly trying to activate the expired trial. Removing the trial from my account fixed the problem.
Hello @ShanePhillips,
That's super, I'm glad the issue is resolved👏🏽
Thanks for letting us know🙏🏽

Reply / Ответить