Kaspersky
Question

Password Manager doesn't handle Ports


I have noticed that KPM considers these as the same URL [Website Address] :

 

www.domain.com:2083  and www.domain.com:2096

 

So if I have one the [Website Address] error/conflict checking code it won’t let me add the other as a different entry.  It also doesn’t seem to distinguish between any deeper URL paths so www.domain.com/wp-login is also automatically linked to the a single domain entry.

This is rather annoying as most hosting companies use just the port reference to determine the different logins for cPanel and WebMail…..ironically all the built-in browser password managers handle this easily.

If I’m missing something obvious please feel free to illuminate me, otherwise I would be adding this as a request :-)


9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hello @KoDan,

Welcome!

  • Please log a case with Kaspersky Technical Support, please include: a GSI & Windows Logs, KPM Traces run as the issue is replicated, images and a detailed history. 
  • After submitting the case, you’ll receive an automated email with an INC+12digits reference number, then, normally, within 5 business days, a Kaspersky Technical Support human will communicate with you, also by email, you may continue to engage with the Kaspersky Technical Team via email or by updating the INC in your MyKaspersky account.
  • Note: if the issue turns out to be an enhancement request, the Technical Support Team will go through the process of escalating to the Development Team.
  • Please share the resolution, provided by the Technical Team, with the Community, when it’s available?

Thank you:pray_tone3:

Flood:whale:

LOL… just figured it out.  If I edit the entries and change the ‘authentication scope’  from the default  I can manage the different URL’s.  I guess Kaspersky is just trying to think for me too much :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hello @KoDan

  • That is happy news:smile: , thank you for letting us know:ok_hand_tone3:
  • We’re delighted you’ve found the solution:cartwheel_tone3:

Thank you:pray_tone3:

Flood:whale:

Ahh spoke too soon :-(

 

Whilst the above process does work, I am getting strange behaviour with the software where it is ‘remembering’ old entries and not the new ones.  Example:

  • EntryA - domain.com:2096 + usernameA & passwordA
  • EntryB - domain.com:2083 + usernameB + passwordB
  • Delete Entry A and rename URL for EntryB to domain.com:2096

Problem is that when I now open a browser to domain.com:2096 the only login options Password Manager gives me is the *old* usernameA.   Huh?

 

  1. I’ve tried clearing all of the browser cache (tho this shouldn’t have any impact);
  2. I’ve tried deleting *all* entries with that domain and starting again with new entries;
  3. I’ve confirmed that the *old* entry isn’t in the active database by exporting the data as a text file

So somewhere in the software (or windows) this data is getting cached and regurgitated when it shouldn’t be :-(

I’ll reboot computer and see if this clears anything.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hello @KoDan

Does the same issue persist in all KPM Supported browsers:

  • Mozilla Firefox ? 
  • Google Chrome ? 
  • Microsoft Edge Chromium ? 
  • Internet Explorer 11 ?
  • Yandex browser ?

If “yes”, please follow the earlier advice, log a case with Kaspersky Technical Support. 

If “no”, please post back with the information?

Thank you:pray_tone3:

Flood:whale:

Nope still the same problem after a reboot - Password Manager is remembering the *old* entry that no longer exists and doesn’t display the *new* entry.

I’m guessing it needs some sort of database reset - so I’ll lodge a technical support request as this is a glitch and I can’t see any obvious way to reset the data.

This is actually pretty annoying - as mentioned the browser password managers handle this so much better…...

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hello @KoDan,

Thank you for updating us:ok_hand_tone3:

So the issue is identical, in 5 different browsers:thinking:

  • :one: Please step us through each step, please include images, so we can try to replicate the issue?

& please tell us:

  • :two: KPM version & patch? 
  • :three: Operating system name, version & patch? 

Please post back?

Thank you:pray_tone3:

Flood:whale:

G’day FLOOD, I’m pretty sure this was a data linking error in the database - it definitely wasn’t browser or software/windows related.  I knew the username being presented by KPM at the browser wasn’t correct, so I went through the entries, located the ‘corrupt’ one and deleted it.

Unfortunately this fixed the problem!

I say unfortunately, because although I dumped a text file (which looked perfect BTW) I didn’t save a database backup - so I can’t replicate the error.  Although I was able to go through and manually fix the issue I only had a handful of entries,  if you had hundreds and didn’t know what username was for where this could be like finding the proverbial needle in the haystack…..especially if the same username was used for multiple URLs.

Having plenty of database creation experience this glitch has raised an eyebrow, but although there isn’t a user-accessible data integrity check available (I asked) Tech Support were excellent and sent me back a great tip which is to enable tracing, so just knowing this feature has made the exercise worthwhile :-)

https://support.kaspersky.com/14524

 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hello @KoDan,

  • Thank you for the update:ok_hand_tone3:
  • (imo) fixing the problem is far better than not:wink:
  • We’re positively chuffed the Traces “tip” we provided on the 12th of May was also provided by Technical Support:thumbsup_tone3:
  •  We’re delighted the issue is resolved:cartwheel_tone3:

Thank you:pray_tone3:

Flood:whale:

Reply / Ответить