Hello, I recently installed Kaspersky Antivirus in 6 computers at the office. Two are presenting some issues I have not seen before.
The biggest problems is that in one computer with Microsoft Outlook 2019, all of a sudden all attachments come with a weird extension and it doesnt allow to preview the attachment nor to open it with the pertaining program. For example, excel attachments normally come with a .xls extension, however it is now displaying as .xls_ and you cannot open it or anything. PDFs are also coming with .pd_ I have tried searching online for thsi error but i cannot find it anywhere, and the only change made to the computer was the Kaspersky installation. I even tried deleting the email account and reinstalling it in case it was something relating to outlook and the file being correupted, however the problem persists.
I could you can assist
Best answer by Igor Kurzin
We have created a tool to restore the attachment extentions.
Important: it is a must to create a backup of all the emails before using the tool!
Please note: the tool works with the following folders: "Inbox", "Sent Items", "Deleted Items", "Outbox", "Drafts". So if there is a folder created next to Inbox (not inside Inbox) it will not be processed, and it is necessary to place the required email\folder with emails to Inbox and perform the instruction above once again.
1. Make a backup of all emails in Outlook:
2. Find out the version of Outlook (x86 or x64).
3. Create a new "C:\Tool" folder
4. Download the tool and unpack it to C:\Tool\
So "C:\Tool\" folder will contain 2 files:
5. Exit Outlook
6. Exit browser
7. Disable network connection (disconnect Wi-Fi or unplug network cable)
8. Exit Kaspersky product (via tray)
9. Launch cmd.exe as Administrator and execute the command:
10. Execute the command in the same cmd window in accordance with the version of Outlook:
for x86 Outlook execute:
outlook_attachments_rename_x86.exe /verbose > logfile.txt
for x64 Outlook execute:
outlook_attachments_rename_x64.exe /verbose > logfile.txt
11. Wait for completion of the process.
12. Launch Kaspersky product.
13. Enable network connection
14. Launch Outlook and check the attachments in Inbox folder.