Kaspersky
Solved

KIS 20 freezes MacBook Pro (Catalina) after waking up. [merged] [Confirmed]

• 21 December 2019
  • 88 replies

Userlevel 2

Problem:

MacBook Pro freezes after waking up from sleep with KIS 20 installed.

Affects:

MacBook Pro 13 Late 2013 running Catalina

MacBook Pro 16 running Catalina

How to reproduce:

Install KIS 20.0.0.829a.b (or any other version).

Close the lid to put the MacBook Pro into sleep.

Leave it for several hours. (Wake a MacBook Pro shortly after it goes to sleep does not reproduce the problem.)

Open the lead, log into macOS, then the OS is very likely to freeze.

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 18 August 2020, 08:38

The issue is fixed in patch C.

View original

88 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi All!

Known issue. We are working on a fix.

Userlevel 1

While macOS is inherently secure, I’m a firm believer that all operating systems require a form of protection from malware. As Kaspersky is causing my computers to be unstable, I have moved to another product. 

I can confirm that I am no longer experiencing freezing after the device wakes nor random hangs which I have now attribute to Kaspersky.

I won’t post the vendor publically however if you are interested, please feel free to PM me.

Good luck to everyone else.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Welcome. Please contact Tech Support: https://my.kaspersky.com/support/ and please collect and submit logs: https://support.kaspersky.com/common/macos/10909

Userlevel 1

Like others, I am incredibly disappointed with this issue and the lack of communication with the user base. I continuously come back to this thread, hoping for some form of resolution, but nothing.

I feel Kaspersky not having a solution for this issue after 6+ months is a huge letdown. I understand fixes take time, I’m in product development. But the fact that their product is “faulty,” and causes our computers to suffer, is simply unacceptable.

I’m also starting to get more notifications regarding Kaspersky’s legacy system extension being incompatible with future versions of macOS. These two issues have me a bit concerned about trusting them with the overall security of my system. I guess we’ll just have to keep on waiting.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hello @Ak55mm 

Welcome!

• It’s seems Kaspersky Technical experts are aware of the issue & are working on a fix, refer above to advice from @Danila T. 
  • Hopefully, this post will be updated when a successful fix has been found:thinking:

Thank you:pray_tone3:

Flood:whale:

Userlevel 1

I have raised a support request with technical support and received the following answer, I suggest everyone else does the same so that Kaspersky have enough info to fully fix this issue.

“Thank you for contacting us. I am sorry to hear that you have been facing such an issue with Internet Security and your Mac. Indeed there is such an issue when Mac goes to sleep which will be addressed with patch "C" of the 2020 version of our product as well as with version 2021. Till then, not using sleep mode is advised.”

I’ve also been asked to enable tracing and reproduce the issue so that I can send them logs, will be doing this later on today.

I also got the update to 20.0.0.829a.b.c and tested a few times. My MAC no longer hangs after waking up from long periods of sleeping. I wake up in the morning, open the screen and it’s working straight away. Thanks very much for the fix!!

Userlevel 1

Just to add, I have the same problems and I’m very surprised it has taken this long to fix.

Userlevel 1

After reinstating the defaults on my  Mac for sleep settings  with version 20.0.0.829b.c has not currently locked up or given me any problems. The best test was allowing it to be in sleep mode every night throughout the day until I got home from work. It passed that also. All other problems seem to be fixed which is cool. I juts it would have been sooner or at least better communication since it seemed to be a PR disaster that relay didn't need to be. 

Haven’t been thrilled with the pace of this bugfix

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Welcome. Please contact Tech Support: https://my.kaspersky.com/support/ and please collect and submit logs: https://support.kaspersky.com/common/macos/10909

Same issue for me since 8 month … Unable to use KIS other why my macbook pro crash ….

Badge

I have the same issue on a MacBook and iMac for several month. The paste of bug fixes is unacceptable.

Stephan

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hello @Tomacco,

Welcome!

It’s seems Kaspersky are aware of the issue & are working on a fix, refer above to advice from @Danila T. 

Hopefully, this post will be updated when a successful fix has been found:thinking:

Hi All!

Known issue. We are working on a fix.

Hello Danila,

Is there an estimate on when the fix might be available? I am suffering from the exact same issue as the others in the thread. The only workaround I've found is to disable Real-Time Protection, but then what is the point of having Kaspersky installed if Real-Time Protection is disabled. This is very frustrating and I too am contemplating claiming a refund for the updated license after I realized that the issue is still there.

It’s 22nd July and still no official response, this is ridiculous as we can’t effectively use the AV on our Mac laptops.

Can someone from Kaspersky Labs, please provide an ETA on when to expect the update?

Userlevel 1

It has been 7 months what is taking so long. Use to love you software but this is ridiculous amount of time for a fix for a problem you know exists. Cannot believe I have 524 more days on this license.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hello @Grigor, @ZeeKin@codewitch,

Welcome!

• As far as “when”, Kaspersky never publishes a specific date, the communications generally amount to information shared in the Community, and of course, statements from Kaspersky experts, e.g. @Danila T.; for example @Tiranon, in his topic Frage zur neuen Version, was told by support “...in the next few days”, which he queried and was told “... it can be within a week. In any case, no longer than a month.
  • Apart from the fact this specific issue is affecting so many users, (ioo) the radio silence has contributed to a PR disaster. 

Joined the community for this issue, glad I’m not the only one experiencing this.

Security Cloud user here. Similar freezing problem. Ticket is now open with the support team.

Uninstalled for now since system is unusable due to constant crash.

Userlevel 1

Patch C still hasn't been released, I will not be renewing when my subscription ends.

Userlevel 1

Forgot to mention this earlier but is anyone else having issues with Kaspersky causing certain apps to not access the internet?

Sometimes the app store, microsoft office google chrome and a few other applications are unusable as they cannot connect to the internet.  Fore quitting kaspersky solves this.

Userlevel 1

@FLOOD after several days of using my Mac with version 20.0.0.829b.c, I feel comfortable saying the issue seems to be resolved for me. I haven’t experienced any of the pesky hangups and connection blocks I was having for the past 6+ months.

Hopefully, everyone who’s also experienced this issue received the update, and that it’s permanently solved in the ‘21 update. Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hello @nuptownboy,

Welcome!

1. Before installing KIS20 was there any AV software installed?
  2. Before installing KIS20 was a KIS software compatibility check run? 

Please let us know the outcome?

Im assuming this problem has not been resolved, just reinstalled my MAC OS for nothing, should have kept to my gut instincts that Kaspersky was causing the issue when waking up from sleep.

When is PATCH C coming ?, we in July now.

@Adlet please create a request to Tech Support

Thank you!