Kaspersky
Solved

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXdomaine [Closed]

Can't access one of my website news recently with a message: DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXdomaine. Does Kaspersky internet security has something to do with that?
icon

Best answer by Caos 29 April 2019, 08:36

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi,

Please review: https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/fix-dns-probe-finished-nxdomain-chrome/

Regards
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hello Miko,
Re [does Kaspersky internet security has something to do with that?] probably not.
As well as the above post:
  • Please post the website URL?
  • Please advise Operating system, e.g. Windows 10/7?
  • Is the error happening with all browsers or only Google Chrome?
If it's only Google Chrome:
  • Export Bookmarks
  • Clear Browser , enter this into url bar chrome://settings/clearBrowserData select the options as shown in the image

• Reset Google Chrome to [Default]
  • Enter this into url bar chrome://flags/ select as per image [Reset to default] - don't be concerned about the warning, that applies when selecting options that are NOT default.

• Reboot/Restart PC.
  • Test the website again - if the error persists.
If using Windows 10, please perform the following steps
  • Disconnect from the internet,
  • Turn off/exit network connection, in other words, if you have a wifi/adsl/cable conx, turn off the router.
  • Press Windows + X
  • Press “A” to launch Command Prompt with administrative privileges.
  • Enter the following commands, one at a time & press ENTER after EACH command
  • ipconfig /release
  • ipconfig /all
  • ipconfig /flushdns
  • ipconfig /renew
  • netsh int ip set dns
  • netsh winsock reset
  • Reboot/Restart PC.
  • Restart Router.
  • Restart KIS.
  • Test website again
Please let us know?
Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @Miko, and welcome to the new Kaspersky community.
As well as above posts.
Might be a good idea to run a Kaspersky GSI Log.
https://support.kaspersky.com/common/diagnostics/3632#block7
Then copy and paste the Zip File In the GSI Parser.
https://www.getsysteminfo.com/
Also Kaspersky has there own support information on DNS errors issue.
https://support.kaspersky.com/us/common/error/activation/13771#block3

Thank you.
I am running on Window 7 ultimate and the problem are both on Google chrome & Explorer 11. BTW, Wikipedia also have the same problem. The GSI Log files has a problem to download, internet is too slow.
What do you suggest?
Miko
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Probably not a Kaspersky issue. If it may be a Kaspersky issue, please contact Tech Support: https://my.kaspersky.com/support/

Please attach the following items to your Tech Support request:

a. Description of the issue.
b. Screenshot, as needed.
c. GSI
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
  1. KIS
  2. Google chrome & Explorer 11.
  3. Wikipedia - same problem.
  4. GSI Log files - problem to download.
What do you suggest?

#Additional to all of the above#
Hello Miko,
  1. If you FULLY EXIT KIS, does/do the errors still happen?
  2. With KIS ACTIVE: can you try with another browser, e.g. Firefox, Vilvaldi, Brave, Opera - Same result? With KIS INACTIVE, can you try with another browser, e.g. Firefox, Vilvaldi, Brave, Opera - Same result?
  3. Wikipedia - same problem.... ? Can you please post several URLs that generate the errors please?
  4. When GSI is generated, it creates a SMALLER GZI .zip folder INSIDE the master GZI.Zip folder (it may have your name, change the name of the folder: e.g. GSI-DNS-date.zip), please extract the master GZI.zip folder, then try to upload the SMALLER GZI .zip folder please?
  5. Referring to 29/04, Caos's and my earlier post, have you done any of the steps?
Please let us know?
Thanks!
Dear Caos
No luck with your solution #1 & #2, but with #3 using KSC is fine.
Thanks
Miko
Hi Flood
Sorry too complicated with this GSI parser. I gave up for now hoping that Kaspersky will make it more user friendly.
Miko
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hello Miko,
K won't be making GSI "more user friendly" at least not in our lifetimes.
Please tell me what's complicated about GSI? I can help.
  • Are you having trouble downloading the GSI tool?
  • Are you having trouble running the GSI tool?
  • Or, knowing which GSI options to select?
or ? No problem if you don't wish to pusure GSI, however, can you please let us know:

1. If you FULLY EXIT KIS, does/do the errors still happen?
  2. With KIS ACTIVE: can you try with another browser, e.g. Firefox, Vilvaldi, Brave, Opera - Same result?
  3. With KIS INACTIVE, can you try with another browser, e.g. Firefox, Vilvaldi, Brave, Opera - Same result?
  4. Wikipedia - same problem.... ? Can you please post several URLs that generate the errors please?
  5. And, re: using KIS WITH KSC, the error does not occur:
  • Have you done:
  • Disconnect from the internet,
  • Turn off/exit network connection, in other words, if you have a wifi/adsl/cable conx, turn off the router.
  • Press Windows + X
  • Press “A” to launch Command Prompt with administrative privileges.
  • Enter the following commands, one at a time & press ENTER after EACH command
  • ipconfig /release
  • ipconfig /all
  • ipconfig /flushdns
  • ipconfig /renew
  • netsh int ip set dns
  • netsh winsock reset
  • Reboot/Restart PC.
  • Restart Router.
  • Restart KIS.
Then retest, without KSC.

Please let us know?
Thanks!
FLOOD:
What is complicated is not GSI per se, but to load the file generated with GSI Perser. It takes for ever and also your recommendation when you say: { When GSI is generated, it creates a SMALLER GZI .zip folder INSIDE the master GZI.Zip folder (it may have your name, change the name of the folder: e.g. GSI-DNS-date.zip), please extract the master GZI.zip folder, then try to upload the SMALLER GZI .zip folder please?}. So I drop the ball right there.
Anyway, I followed through with the remaining suggestions and for #1 now the error message is “ERR_connection_timed_out” ditto for #2 to #4. For #5 the answer is yes using KSC is OK.
After, I executed the commands suggested and a reboot no change still “ERR_connection_timed_out”
A tough cookie isn’t?
Miko
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hello Miko,
It is indeed a tough cookie😊
I’ve created a “help” doc for GSI as I don’t know what ball gets dropped when it’s dropped (sorry, precise/detail needed, otherwise – a crystal ball, which sadly, none of us have.

Second confusing issue is: [ https://community.kaspersky.com/kaspersky-internet-security-13/dns-probe-finished-nxdomaine-848#post4177 ] is marked [SOLVED], but, reading your "tough cookie" post it's clearly not.
As I see it, the original error [DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXdomaine] has morphed into to [ ERR_connection_timed_out ] error which is occurring:

*1* Only when KIS is active - [yes] [no]?
*2* [ ERR_connection_timed_out ] does not occur with KIS& KSC both active together - [yes] [no]?
*3* Irrespective of the browser used [yes] [no]?
*4* Irrespective of which site (url) is visited [yes][no]?
If the error only occurs ON SOME sites please post at least 3 urls of impacted sites?
&
Please advise:
*5* When did KIS patch(e) update?
*6* Did the original issue exist before Patch(e) or after?
*7* How long have you been using KSC?
*8* Have you done a full a full reboot/factory reset of the router/modem?

If not please don't do yet or, if you choose to, make sure you have the 🔴[PIN/Passcode]🔴 the router was shipped with...
Preference is: ❌[factory reset]❌ is not done out of sequence, please bear that in mind...

Let's do a checkpoint, lots more info but need to hear from you please & also would like to know if any progress is made with GSI please... ?

Many thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Dear Caos
No luck with your solution #1 & #2, but with #3 using KSC is fine.
Thanks
Miko

You´re welcome

Regards
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Yes Caos, I read that, BUT, the issue is not [solved] it's morphed, if MIKO can't use KIS alone without the error then it's simply done what many issues do, "progressed"...
Every user getting this error may not have or wish to have/use a VPN.
If KIS doesn't work without a VPN, then it's a problem, not just for Miko....
Thanks!
You ca easy fix by new guide

Spam link deleted.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Also and as already mentioned above by Richbuff , i don’t think that this is a Kaspersky issue.